Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gospel Friends


A few days after Macy died, I had the opportunity to fly to Oregon and visit with my "gospel friends" from High School. These are the people I speak about so often in my current ward. They brought me to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their parents all took a place at the table and helped me become the woman I am today. The Parker family became my family-Judy and Giles became my parents. I often talk about how Giles' name is on every important piece of paper that I need in my life. From my High School Diploma to my Seminary Certificate. I have his signature on my first Temple Recommend and my Marriage Certificate...they will forever be my "mama and papa." The beautiful ladies and the one lone male in the photograph above are people I wish everyone could have in their lives. We honestly love each other and regardless of the time that goes by between visits, they all have an important place in my life. During lunch one day, a coworker said "we shouldn't worry about the people from our past because there's a reason they didn't make it to our future." I thought about that for a long time...as some of you know, I lost my memory in a car accident several years ago. I've often spoken on the importance of journal keeping because it was my journals that reconnected me to my past. It's true that there will always be something mentioned when visiting people that I knew before 1998 that I will never be able to recall-but for the first time in my life...I'm so grateful that my past finally caught up to me. I can't imagine what my future would be like without these wonderful people in my life. I love all of you and thank you for your examples of love, courage, strength and friendship. My time with you this month is everything my journals from high school promised it would be. I love you all very much! And for the record, a member of the ward came up to Richard and I before sacrament meeting and after introducing myself he told me that our group was "legendary in these parts. We've never seen a conversion explosion like that in this state since." Darn right...and we have a New Era documenting the whole thing!

2 comments:

Darilyn said...

Oh, Sabrina. I miss you and hope you know how important you are in my life. Thanks for blogging about this. I love the picture.

Quinn said...

I'm finally getting back to a somewhat normal life since the states - that means having a minute to look at blogs too. (I know, I should be blogging myself too.) I loved reading what you wrote. You put it all SO well. Thanks. I love you!