Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!
My Father was raised in the south. He went to school in the days of one room school houses during the depression. Most children at the time never made it passed 6th grade because they went to work to help earn money for their family. My Father was no different. He joined the Merchant Marines and served as a cook in World War II. He married and raised 5 children. He then spent his life as a 1st mate for an ocean towing company, Sauce Brothers, located in Coos Bay, Oregon. He retired in 1998.
Growing up, my Father wasn't around much because of his job. And even though we never had a close relationship, he has always been a very important person in my life. I find him inspiring. Some of the stories he tells about his time on the high seas are absolutely amazing. Richard and my Father can talk for hours about it. He taught me strength. This is a man, who after losing his wife to cancer at a very young age, did everything he could to keep his family together. It was a struggle. He wanted us to have a mother and we just wanted to have him. He taught me how to balance a checkbook. "Never have less than two thousand dollars in your checking account at all times." "Start saving early!" This was sound advice to me when I was first married and starting my own life. I knew I was on my own and had to follow this advice when I was 26. Whenever funds were running low, I would always call my Dad. He would then send me a check worth a few hundred dollars and I would continue on like it would be easy to get more money when I needed it. Finally, when I turned 26 and had moved to Utah, I called him and told him I was running low on cash. I received what I thought would be a check a few days later. Inside was a note wrapped around a twenty dollar bill. The note read: "I hope this helps!" It was the beginning of an end to the money fund. I still have the note and my checking account has always remained within the limit my Dad taught me. I've been saving for retirement ever since. It's become a passion!
Over the years my Father and I have become close. He's not much for talking on the phone but we still like to call each other anyway. There was a time when I didn't think I'd live to see my Father live to be so old. But, he has been blessed with priesthood blessings along the way even though he isn't a member of my faith. He was promised that he would live to see his family reunited. We've never been a close family, however, the older we get the closer we seem to become. I'm thankful that he's been able to watch and be such a big part of this happening. He really is a wonderful man. I love him!

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

Very nice tribute to your dad.