Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Rest Of The Story

I received a ton of comments at work regarding my last post. So, I thought I'd give the rest of the story. In my post for Father's Day, I mentioned that my Father sent me a note wrapped around a twenty dollar bill after I had told him I was running low on cash. My friends at work thought it was funny and some admit using it as a perfect example of what parents should do to give a "hint" to their children. I really can't disagree with that. The next day I got up early and found a job. So, whatever my Father's intentions were...they worked. I've been working and saving money ever since. Some at work are curios to know what I did with the twenty dollars. I ordered pizza with it. I had opened the letter in front of my "roomies" expecting this big some of money-It was clear I was getting nothing. I was embarrassed and acted like it didn't matter to me, even though it did. Buying pizza for us was just a way for me to eat away the shame of quietly being told to "grow up!" When Richard and I were married I had 21 credit cards. They ranged from Victoria's Secret to The Emporium card I received when I was living in Oregon after my mission. I really hadn't racked up that much debt-I was just carrying around the opportunity to do so and conveniently forgetting about the credit card statement that was still being mailed every month to my Dad's house. Yes~ I intentionally allowed a credit card bill to be mailed to my Father knowing that he would pay the bill faithfully for me each month. I was spoiled-and unkind, really. Imagine my embarrassment when my Father turned the monthly statement over to me. I had a credit card with 12 thousands dollars worth of debt that my husband didn't even know about. Heck, even I wasn't aware of how much I had racked up over the YEARS I had been using it and quietly sending the bill to an address I hadn't lived at for who knows for how long. I admit I was foolish. My memory serves me well at times. Too well. I, the one who constantly cautions others about debt, purchased a used vehicle with a cash advance on that very card that was now my responsibility. A car I didn't even own anymore. How much did that purchase cost me? 21% interest each month---ON ONE PURCHASE! I could hear the clanging of the slot machines in my mind. That credit card company made a ton of money off of my stupidity. And my Father? He was never one to yell much. He certainly didn't believe that constantly repeating yourself to make a point really did much in the way of teaching. Instead, he'd sit quietly by just waiting for the opportunity to drop the bomb. It worked for me every time!

No comments: