Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Life As A Chameleon...A True Story

[Some chameleon species are able to change their skin colours. Different chameleon species are able to change different colours which can include pink, blue, red, orange, green, black, brown, light blue, yellow, turquoise and purple. Some varieties of chameleon - such as the Smith's dwarf chameleon - use their colour-changing ability to blend in with their surroundings, as an effective form of camouflage.]

A few years ago I was sitting at a friends house having dinner and watching that supposed news show with Bill O'Reilly on the tube.  Personally, I'm not much of a fan.   It isn't that he doesn't have useful information, it's just that there are times when his personal opinions take center stage over the actual facts of a particular subject, and instead of being useful, it becomes a delusional verbal mess.  The discussion that night was about Nancy Pelosi...don't like her much either, but that doesn't mean she doesn't do some good now and again.  She has a very impressive resume.  If my memory serves me correctly it was just after she became Speaker of the House and she had just taken the government plane to some foreign country to meet with some dignitary without the president's approval.  There was a heated debate between the television and the people in the room where I just happened to be eating that night.  I really didn't say much and was hoping to avoid participation by just sitting quietly and enjoying my meal.  Unfortunately, my quietness made me noticeable, and I was asked for my opinion.  I paused, briefly, and then did what I had been always known to do.  I tried to appease both sides by finding common ground which was clearly not what they wanted.  My very good friend looked at me in total disgust, shook his head, and said with the most hurtful tone, "you're such a chameleon!"  Actually, it was more like, "YOU'RE SUCH A CHAMELEON!!!"

I felt my face turning red, and without any warning my eyes started to tear just like they used to do when I was a kid suffering from total humiliation.  I didn't have to ask him what he meant.  I knew.  The worst part was that he was right.  I was a chameleon.  I had been most of my life.  My childhood caused me to change and adapt on a regular basis.  There was one entire year where I changed and adapted minute by minute just to survive.  If you knew what I endured, you wouldn't be surprised that I managed to carry my chameleon ways with me into adulthood.  I'm positive the comment was meant as an insult, but in all honesty, I took it as a compliment.  It meant I did well growing up and that I had learned to survive.  I understood the point my friend was trying to make and I truly took it to heart.  After much soul searching, I decided he was right.  I needed to shed my chameleon ways and stand up for what I believe.  It was a humiliating time for me, but I do, however, thank him for pointing it out so...effectively. 

After taking a long hard look at myself  I noticed that the only time as an adult that I turn on my chameleon powers is when politics is involved.  I clam up. It's not because I don't have an opinion, it's because my opinion in politics doesn't mesh with the majority that I surround myself with.  I didn't have a problem going up against Sheriff Kennard over the time card fraud.  They were falsifying time cards and signatures to avoid payment and comp time for employees all while enforcing mandatory overtime hours.  Worse, this wasn't their first offense. It was difficult to do, but I won in the end.  I made a difference in not only my life, but in the life of the other employees that I worked with.  I had to seek other employment when it was over, but it was so worth it. Likewise, last year when circumstance presented themselves and information that I had was needed in a very unfortunate incident...I came forward.  I wasn't silent.  In fact, I became even louder when I was threatened for doing what was right. I believe my exact words were, "You better be above reproach before you come after someone like me.  I'm not afraid to fight back, and I never run scared!" It's a true story, and I consider silencing that individual as one of my greatest moments.  See, I'm not always a chameleon.  It's just when politics are involved. 

Well...not anymore!  Me loud!  Very loud! 

I outed myself on Emily Henderson's blog...I'm a Democrat! I know, I know, total shock and surprise, hugh?  You'd never guess by my conservative demeanor, right?  Truth be told, with embarrassment, I only registered as a Republican because I thought it was something we Mormons did. But, you have to know that at the time I registered I had only been a member of this religion for two years. The older I became the more aware I was about my opposing viewpoints on many, many subjects.  Well, I'm in the process of changing my status and it's the greatest feeling in the world.    For the first time in my life I feel free.  Is that even the right word to use?  I don't know if it is or not, I just know that I feel so much better not having to hide myself in a sea of conservatism.  I'm here, a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and a very proud Democrat.  I'm also not a fan of Rush Limbaugh, and it doesn't matter how much the members of my religion love the guy- Glenn Beck does nothing for me.  Wow - What a load off my chest!

Where was I?  Ah, that's right...even though my chameleon ways may surface from time to time, I've discovered that underneath my chameleon skin is a dragon.  Yes, "me speaks loud when told to shut it!"  Consider this a warning - Never mistake my kindness for ignorance.  You threaten me or those I care about and this little colour changin' chameleon will spit some very hot fire, and you really don't want to be on the receiving end of my wrath.  It might not be deadly, but it will burn!  Promise.

9 comments:

Sara said...

One of these days you will have to tell me your story (if you want to, that is). I am definitely a chameleon. Anything I can do to avoid confrontation. I have my own opinions, or course, but I find it's easier to adopt the "Reacher said nothing" theory :)

Anonymous said...

As I've mentioned before, I was so happy when you 'outed' yourself! It's a lonely journey we take, us LDS Democrats, but it's nice to be able to walk it with someone I know and love. :) BTW - I very much believe that Glenn Beck gives Mormons a bad name. Yeah. I said it.

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

I'm sure happy to know your thoughts on Glen Beck. I thought I was alone! Thanks for leaving a comment and I hope you know you've always been a sister to me. Love you Rachel Parker Bishop! Tell that zombie expert husband of your that I think he is way cool!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you came out of the closet so to speck, I guess I sould take some lessons from you and stand up a little more. Jim calls me a politician and says that I will never give him a straight answer. I am going to vow that I will start standing up and giving my heart felt opionion on all matters from now on. Thanks for the courage.

gbeck said...

Yea Sabrina! I loved the Chameleon allegory. I too was an LDS democrat--very lonely indeed-- but I'm still a democrat just not so much LDS. I understand the not wanting to argue politics. I have definite opinions but get tongue tied when come up against the opposing view so I generally try to say very little. In all things, I try to find the middle ground for people to get along. I love reading your blogs, they are always so informative and interesting. Thanks for the work you do!!

Christine said...

Well, Miss Sabrina/Kate I was out of town for a week and missed your guided tour of NYC. Sounds like you had a wonderful and exploratory time. Good for you. Glad it was worth the time, money and effort for you both to take this adventuresome trip. It takes time to speak out and let your opinions fly. Good for you. It's good to take the Reacher theory before some people so you don't get into a heated discussion where they become downright mean and nasty. Certainly brings out another side of someones personality, huh?

Thanks for your time and effort in your interesting and worthy reading of your trip and thoughts.

Elizabeth said...

Magnificent post! Go, you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Chameleons rock! You go girl! Me like when you strike back at someone who thinks that they are above reproach... I wonder if he is reflecting... nope, he still thinks he is above reproach! I love your blogs!