Wednesday, October 20, 2010

NEW YORK - DAY TWO

Today was fantastic.  We left the hotel around 10:00 this morning and headed to the Financial District to scope out the Borders where Lee Child would be doing his book signing.  We took a quick stroll through  Battery Park and wandered the grounds of Trinity Church.  Then I stood in line at the book store and after a short wait was introduced to Lee Child.  His eyes are just as beautiful in person as they are in those pictures I've been seeing in the back of those books he's been writing.  When the book store employee told him I had flown in from Salt Lake just for his book signing, he seemed a little surprised.  Actually, I believe the first words were, "no you didn't."  Then when I told him that it was indeed true, he said, "are you crazy..."  So not the words I was going for.  I think I responded with, "no, I'm in love."  And I don't think I bothered to clarify that I was in love with Jack Reacher either.  It didn't matter though, he seemed very appreciative that I would plan my vacation around him and was very kind.  I have to admit that I was a little star struck.  I meant to get a book signed for a friend as a surprise, but when asked I gave them the name Katherine.  What the heck was that about?  I know a Kathy and a Katie, but I don't know a Katherine.  I guess I'll be doing a creative book give away on that ridiculously lame book blog I've got. 

After the book signing, we headed back to the hotel for just a few minutes and then took the subway to Yankee Stadium.  A game was happening today and we wanted to feel the energy there while eating what had to be the most disgusting hot dog I've ever had in my life.  New York, I'm so disappointed!  I'm a fan of hot dogs and I really expected better things from you.  Nonetheless, the energy was still happening and the horrible dog was worth it.  We then headed back to Trinity Church so we could take a walk through the Cathedral and admire the stained glass work and the intricate woodworking inside.  I have had a love for Cathedrals ever since I was a little girl.  Sometimes I really wish our LDS Temples were a little more ornate.  We continued to wander around for a little while before heading back to the hotel again to rest up for the evening book signing at Barnes & Noble.

Barnes & Noble!  Remember that dream I posted on my book blog about the police waiting for me at Barnes & Noble and arresting me for stalking?  Well, there was an officer inside the building when I arrived, but she didn't seem to be looking for me and no arrest was made.  I was surprised to find out that not only would Mr. Child be doing book signings, but he would also be doing a short lecture on Worth Dying For as well as a question and answer session with the audience, all while being filmed for a CBS special to air on Sunday morning.  It was amazing and made me so thankful that I decided to hop that plane to New York.  Afterward, I had the opportunity to stand in line with a lady named Nermin who was kind enough to pose for a picture with me.  She was thrilled to hear about my vacation planning around my favorite authors and was happy I chose to come to New York to see Lee Child.  Actually, I just think Nermin was happy to meet another woman that loves Jack Reacher as much as she does.  I really do have a soft spot for that guy.

When it was my turn to get my books signed...again, Mr. Child was kind enough to acknowledge that he remembered me from earlier.  I had no problem admitting that I had dedicated today to him and that I had been Facebooking and tweeting about it on Twitter all day.  When preparing to sign the second book (yes, I bought four copies today), I told him I just needed his signature so I could give the book away on my book blog.  That comment led to him asking for the name of my blog.  When I told him, he recognized it and said, "so that's you, you're Andrew's fan."  Yes, Mr. Child, I am Andrew's fan.  Truth be told, while standing in line I was plugging the David Trevellyan series to Nermin after she stated she was having difficulty finding another author that she liked as much as you.  I also plugged Joseph Finder's Nick Heller series.  Please forgive me, but I really love to read and I meant it when I told you that I was a huge fan of Mr. Grant.  I'm also, however, an equally huge fan of yours and I will forever be thankful for your kindness even though I am secretly dying to know just what was said to you about my book blog.  It's an honest passion, that book blog of  mine.  I have your brother to thank for that.  If I hadn't stumbled upon Even by accident I never would have discovered my secret passion for crime fiction, and, as I told you, I never would have discovered you!  Thanks for the kindness, Mr. Child.  I'm signing up to be your friend on  Facebook and will anxiously await your reply.  When you asked if I was your friend tonight, I was a little nervous.  I never signed up to be your friend because I didn't want to betray your brother.  But then, when you think about it, I kind of already did that by making you my first author to plan a vacation around. 




In the end, today was wonderful.  I also had the opportunity to meet Maggie...I love Maggie!  Maggie Griffin is a hugger just like me!  I can't wait to see you next year at Bouchercon!  St. Louis here I come!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You are soo funny and I am so glad you are having a good time. Though it is very loney here without you. Pum home!

Christine said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful and exciting day yesterday. Sightseeing, underground travel and the famous book signing with Reacher's author, Lee Child! Happy to hear he was not a disappointment to you along with his blue eyes. Nice of him to mention your association with his brother, Andrew Grant, (the one who doesn't answer complimentary emails.) I'm taking Reacher with me next week on my little trip. I have to get to know this guy you have been raving about. Glad things are working out for you and Richard on your New York adventure. Keep reporting. You make everything come alive. Travel safe!!

Unknown said...

So happy to hear you didn't have to stand in line for hours and you weren't disappointed when you met him. Sounds like you've met some really great people and are having a wonderful time. Can't wait until you get back so we can all hear the tails of your New York trip!

Unknown said...

By tails I mean tales!! LOL

jbr said...

Love reading about your adventures.

Darilyn said...

This is great. I'm so glad you have been able to take this trip.

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

My dearest Christine, I would advise you to resend that letter to Mr. Grant. He really is a kind man and is appreciative of his readers.

Sara said...

I'm glad you are having the time of your life while the rest of us are stuck here at work! Just kidding, I'm sincerely happy for you. I just knew that you wouldn't get arrested for stalking. Anyway, have a great rest of your trip and hurry back!

Leah Anderson said...

I miss you! Come home! Glad you're having fun! Hope you're feeling better! Love you!

Unknown said...

Sabrina/Kate,
So glad to hear that you weren't disappointed...and that you are having the time of your life! I miss you! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. By the way, you look beautiful in your picture with Lee!