Saturday, October 23, 2010

NEW YORK/BALTIMORE - DAY FIVE

Well, here we are on the last day of our perfect vacation planned around an amazing man with the most beautiful blue eyes I have finally been able to see in person.  Mr Child, you sir, are truly an incredible man.  I imagined what a book signing with you would be like after reading several of your blog posts found on the Lee Child website. You really do appreciate your readers, which is why I couldn't wait to meet you.  I thank you for allowing me the privilege of meeting you and securing your most wonderful signature in four recently purchased books. As for the book signed for Katherine, the woman I have never met...well, I have a taker already.  Thank goodness, the person I originally bought the book for can use it!

While sitting at LGA this morning I grew weepy and actually had to blow my nose more than once.  Leaving New York proved difficult for me.  It is an amazing city and I really wish I had the opportunity to live there.  Richard says no plans to move are in the works and to get the thought out of my head.  One thing I will miss the most...passing by The New York Times every morning and every night as we traveled to and from our hotel.

After landing in Baltimore we had a wonderful seafood lunch at some restaurant at the airport.  Then we did nothing but sit.  I read The Great Bridge by David McCullough and Richard played games on his phone.  Then I had an unfortunate run in with a little boy in the restroom.  He kept watching me pee through the crack in the door.  To my surprise, he leaned so hard into the door that it burst open, causing me to push it closed with my foot, pinching the poor boys fingers.  He left me alone after that, but I have to say, honestly, I felt kind of bad. He cried for quite awhile afterwards.  I'm hoping he learned his lesson.  In the end, I became pee shy and I'm afraid I'm going to be forced to use the restroom on the plane. 

Things I loved most and actually shed tears over because I'm a goof:

Meeting Lee Child.  Like that wasn't a given.
Being part of the hustle and bustle of New York City.
Walking, walking, and walking the streets of New York City.
Riding the Subway...the people, the music, the tile work.
Walking by The New York Times.  I really do want to work there.
Blogging from my location.  This has been cool.  By the way, my blogging is coming to you from 35,999 feet above the ground.  I have 4 hours and 3 minutes left to this flight.

Another weepy moment:

I recently wrote a blog post entitled A Life With No Mother.  One difficult part of my family life has not been hearing stories about my mother from my siblings.  It's too difficult to speak of her without getting emotional.  While on this trip, I received a personal message from a cousin that I haven't seen since I was very little.  She shared a beautiful story with me about my mother.  It was very unexpected and very much appreciated.  I was happy to read that she was indeed the mother I always imagined her to be.  Thank you cousin for sharing this with me.

Most comical moment:

Realizing I had Lee Child sign a book for a woman with a name I don't know.  Who is Katherine?  I was in the middle of a personal tweet to the intended twitter friend when I realized my mistake.  Thankfully, my twitter friend can actually use the book as a Christmas present.  Just thinking about my error makes me giggle enough to cry.  I'm just glad it worked out in the end.

Well, this me signing off.  I should be posting another post in the near future.  I'm working on the title, but it's something about me being a lizard...or something close to it.  It's starting to get a tad bit bumpy so I better post this before I lose it all.  Thanks for keeping updated on my incredible New York/Lee Child vacation.  I'm so loving that Jack Reacher...and David Trevellyan, Scott Finn, as well as the newest love of my life, Nick Heller.  I'm really liking that Nick guy.

Damn it...a kid just pooped their pants!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Thank you for making my Monday sweet! You make me laugh. I'm sorry that you are sad, but I'm happy that you are home safe. Keep posting!

Unknown said...

So glad to have you home safe and sound Grasshopper! It's good to hear that you enjoyed your time! Missed ya!

angelabarra99 said...

you make me smile :) loved to here about your wild times in NY and im glad to see your face at work again....

Lalabowers said...

Good Grief! I wouldn't feel bad about the boy pinching his fingers in the door. I hope he learned his lesson - probably one he'll never forget!