Friday, October 22, 2010

NEW YORK - DAY FOUR

Today was the windiest and coldest freaking day of my life! Well, that actually isn't true.  My first winter in Rexburg, Idaho where I flunked out of my first year in college because I was to busy visiting my friends in Utah had the windiest and coldest freaking day of my life.  It was 60 below zero...I fainted on my way to class because it was too freaking cold to breathe.  Today was kind of like that, but without the snow, and the chill factor was probably close to 30 degrees in the wind while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.  Even so, it was dang cold out.  So cold Richard agreed that I needed a cute scarf to go with my outfit and later a hat, too.  I probably have head lice now because I bought the hat from one of those street vendors and I'm quite positive close to a thousand other people have tried on the same one before I came along (the poor sucker that I am) and bought the darn thing.  Oh well.  The hat kept my lopsided ears warm and helped me snag some great self photos of myself.  For an example, you can check out my Facebook picture, or you can just keep reading this blog post and see the photo at the end.  I'm rocking some pretty decent Reacher Worthy eyes in this photo!!!  And just in case your thinking things are different now that I've finally met Lee Child, you should know that my life will be forever centered around my Reacher Worthiness!

Enough of that...we headed out early today to check out a couple of museums.  We went to the Guggenheim and then headed down the street to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Both places provided us with unlimited amounts of knowledge, if we were really paying attention, and most importantly, warmth.  I have to admit, by day four of our little adventure, it became really clear that my efforts to be more Reacher Worthy by doubling my workouts for this trip didn't help me much.  I'm sore. Really, really, really sore!  But sore is good.  New York has helped me to firm up my bottom and strengthen my leg muscles, too. I can't help but be truly appreciative of New York City for their willingness to build a city that allows people to exercise.  I'm feeling much healthier already and loving the extra five pounds I've dropped from my butt this week.  Thanks!

Other adventures led us to the Brooklyn Bridge where I scored some great pictures while freezing my a** off.  It was totally worth it and could have been much worse had I not stopped to purchase that fake cashmere scarf and lice infested hat from that lovely street vendor on Fifth Avenue.  I'm so thankful for these people that stand in the cold all day long just waiting for people like me to come along.  I almost snagged a great purse this evening, but apparently I had made a promise to Richard that I wouldn't buy any purses while in New York.  I must have been feeling extra guilty about spending so much money to plan a vacation around Lee Child.  I have to say, Richard was impressed with the lecture at Barnes & Noble.  This means that he in one step closer to accepting my new found passion for reading and personally meeting and thanking every author that I feel has made my life better.  I also think coming to New York proved useful in that Richard has grown fond of this great city and has even mentioned coming back. 




We ended at Battery Park for another walk through and then headed off to grab some dinner from Carnegie Deli.  We are currently sitting in our hotel room trying to figure out how we are supposed to eat ten pounds of meat between the two of us.  Seriously, if you want to suggest to us a place to eat, please give us instructions  on how to avoid butchering an entire cow for the occasion.  I'm starting to feel guilty about it.  The cheesecake, however, was delicious.  Here's to us going to bed early and packing our stuff up all while trying not to burst into tears over leaving New York.  And just in case your interested, my head has done nothing but itch ever since I suggested the head lice thing.  I truly was kidding around, but now, I'm kind of getting worried.

3 comments:

Darilyn said...

Didn't I mention to split one meal? Oops, sorry. I love this trip of yours. I love that you planned it around a book signing. That's what makes it so interesting.

Unknown said...

Just want to make one comment. I LOVE this pic!

Sara said...

Steph is right...you do take beautiful pictures. I highly doubt you have lice; every time someone mentions bugs around me I start itching, too. It might just be your imagination. Anyway, I think the hat looks adorable!